SIMAJ assists its clients in obtaining and enforcing their rights related to designs. The firm also provides full service with respect to foreign registration of designs in cooperation with our associate law firms throughout the world.
The protection of designs in Turkey is regulated by the Industrial Property Law No. 6769, which entered into force on January 10th, 2017. Turkey is also a party to the Locarno Agreement relating with the international classification of industrial designs as of 30.11.1998 and Hague Agreement (Geneva Text) for International registration of designs as of 01.01.2005.
After the implementation of the Industrial Property Law No. 6769, novelty examination is carried out for design applications and in case Turkish Patent and Trademark Office considers that the design application is novel at first instance, the application is published for opposition purposes. The regulations also impose the necessary arrangements for application of multiple designs and deferment of publication.
The key elements of our patent and utility model services are considered in three categories as;
- Filing, prosecution and post grant services
- Legal Services
- Development and strategy advisory services
- We can advise on the registrability of the designs and the best application strategy in view of the National Law and regulations.
- We can draft, file and prosecute design applications through grant of the design registration certificate before Turkish Patent and Trademark Office as well as WIPO or any National Office using our network of International Associates.
- We assist our clients for recordals in the register and providing periodical or current status reports.
- We provide maintenance services for renewal of the designs.
- We assist our clients for recordals in the register and for providing periodical or current status reports
- We can represent our clients in opposition proceedings before Turkish Patent and Trademark Office.
- We give advice and draft license and assignment agreements and we can assist in negotiations with third parties.
- We give advice for validity and infringement matters and represent clients before the IP Courts in Turkey.
- We can review your existing design portfolio and offer advice on its strengths and weaknesses in view of the National Law
- We can review competitor and sector activity worldwide to help you plan your strategy.
- We can provide internal training programmes to assist maximizing your IP return from your design portfolio.