Today’s global market offers an immense number of products, making it even more important for companies to differentiate their products or services from their competitors. Therefore, trademarks have become the key assets of the companies as a strategic tool to secure and develop their business activities.
The protection of trademarks in Turkey is regulated by the Industrial Property Law No. 6769, which entered into force on January 10th, 2017. Industrial Property Law No. 6769 contains provisions such as protection of service marks, publication of the applications and opposition by third parties, infringement procedures and compensation of damages against infringement and establishment of special IP courts. Turkey is also a party to the Madrid Protocol. According to membership to the Nice Agreement, the international classification of goods and services are also in force in Turkey. Multiclass applications are possible for both goods and services.
At SIMAJ, all trademark matters are handled from pre-filing search and advice through application and registration as well as possible judicial enforcement with individually tailored solutions.
The key elements of our patent and utility model services are considered in three categories as;
- Filing, prosecution and post grant services
- Legal Services
- Development and strategy advisory services
- We pre-search and advise before a trademark application by considering possible alternatives
- We file and prosecute applications at both national and international level, before Turkish Patent and Trademark Office, WIPO or any National Office using our network of international associates
- We conduct watching and maintenance services
- We assist our clients for recordals in the register for providing periodical or current status reports.
- We prepare and prosecute oppositions against published applications as well as the decisions of the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office.
- We give advice and draft license and assignment agreements and we can assist in negotiations with third parties
- We give legal advise on issues such as validity and the infringement matters as well as all trademark related conflicts
- We represent our clients before the competent courts in Turkey for all trademark related matters
- We can review your existing trademark portfolio and offer advice on its strengths and weaknesses in view of the National Law.
- We can advise on the best protection strategy for a mark in view of the National Law.
- We can review competitor and sector activity worldwide to help you plan your branding strategy.
- We can provide internal training programmes to assist maximizing your trademark portfolio.